A lot of people think wearing a red lip is too bold for them or won’t go well with their skin—but red is actually one of the most universally flattering shades on skin! I think everyone should at least try it out once at home (if you don’t like it, you can take it right off)… Don’t hate till you try!
You may be pleasantly surprised!
Now for those of you wondering how to perfect a lusciously lovely red lip… Look no further—I’ll tell you how in just 5 easy steps!
Prep-Step: Be sure your lips are very smooth (exfoliate if you need to), conditioned and dry.
- Using a very sharp lip pencil (for a classic red look, use MAC Lip Pencil in Redd) carefully line your lower lip. I suggest starting from the outside of the mouth and lining inwards from each side. Then fill in the lower lip. (Warning: You might look a little silly at this point. LOL).
- Next, line the upper lip starting from the Cupid’s bow and lining outwards all the way to the corners. Then color in the upper lip. Don’t stress about coloring your lips in perfectly—this is simply a base for the lipstick and will make the final color vibrant and full.
- Using a lip brush (I suggest MAC 316 lip brush) apply a creamy lipstick (such as MAC Russian Red) all over your top and bottom lips. Be sure to fill in your lips completely.
- Apply a thin layer of tinted gloss (I love MAC Dazzleglass in Love Alert) over the top and bottom lips.
- Then apply a clear gloss to the center section of the bottom lip (I recommend Sally Hansen Lip Inflation Extreme in Sheer Clear… a little added pluming action never hurt anyone).
- To prevent feathering (color beading beyond the lip line) apply concealer (I use NW20 MAC concealer and a MAC 195 concealer brush) all the way around the lip. Get as close to the lip line as possible without pulling the color out. This step will help set the color in place, too.
- Blend the concealer around your mouth and BAM—you’ve got some killer red lips!
If you decide to give the red lip a try, upload a picture of your pretty red pout to the comments below or write a request!
Please follow me!!